Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Curious Book

I try to keep an eye open for interesting and cheap books on EBay.

One book definately caught my eye, it is entitled "Albert Camus & The Minister". I don't really know much about Camus, but given what I do know about him, this book kind of tickles my curiosity.

Camus is a existentialist philosopher. The book is a Christian minister recollecting his friendship with Camus. Camus was in a church to hear an organist, and eventualy connects with the author, who was a visiting minister. Interestingly, it appears that Camus requested a re-baptism, but Mumma (the minister) denied his request.

Apparently this book demonstrates one sort of response to existentialism that some Christians have taken.

I really know nothing about this book other than that it sounds interesting. Some readers have heavily thrashed this book in the Amazon.com reviews, but that doesn't reduce my curiosity about it.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ian Hugh Clary said...

That looks very intriguing! Camus is a great read, I recommend him over other existentialists. A very sad and tragic figure in many respects. I would start with The Plague.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Mark Nenadov said...

Even with rather expensive shipping included, I'm still getting it for considerably under the retail list price (and its an unused copy of it).

The publishers note confirms that this is probably quite interesting: "In a series of unusual conversations, the great French existentialist and the author, a pastor, share their invidual thoughts on topics ranging from Adam and Eve to free will and the Holocaust, as they examine key questions about Christianity and human faith."

Do ya think the pastor might have been Arminian and Camus Calvinistic? I'm joking :)

6:50 PM  
Blogger Ian Hugh Clary said...

It looks like an excellent book. Maybe you could blog your thoughts about it?

11:55 AM  
Blogger Mark Nenadov said...

Definately. I normally do review books, moreso on Amazon.com than on the blog, but I've slacked on that recently. It may be a while until I receive the book and get to it, but I'll definately post what I think.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home