Saturday, April 22, 2006

Dual Monitors!

Just last night I setup Dual Monitors on my PC using the TwinView feature that my video card supports. This enabled me to do this WITHOUT two video card (my video card has two output ports, one DVI, and one old-style).

It is very cool! However, it may take some getting used it. I'm trying to keep my right screen (and older CRT) for things that I leave open for a long time and I can briefly glance at to find out what I need (right now I have my inbox there and also a memory monitor). On my left screen, I have a ViewSonic 21 inch LCD for my "workspace".

For those who are not familiar with this setup, I can actually move my cursor to the right edge of my left screen and move it right on to my right screen, and also drag windows back and forth.

I got this all going under SuSE 10.0 with KDE. For those who are interested in doing a similar thing, here are the lines I had to add to /etc/X11/XF86Config under the Section "Device" area for my video card:

Option "TwinView"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "UseEdidFreqs"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "UseEdidFreqs"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP,CRT"
Option "MetaModes" "DFP: 1280x1024, CRT: 1280x1024"

These config changes were necessary in order to get things going, and once that happened KDE was quite supportive in tweaking the setup (it offered me some Multiple Monitor options in the control panel).

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura L. said...

2 screens are wonderful! That is the set-up at my office.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home