Thursday, February 09, 2006

A New Look at the Proverbs

I've been studying the Proverbs lately. I've found some new proverbs that almost appear to be new to me and I've also found that the Proverbs, aside from its primary goal of teaching wisdom, can actually be quite humorous and entertaining!

One vivid image is the image of the slothful man who lays down, rests his hand on his chest, and has to make a great strain just to bring his hand to his mouth.

Anyways, another thing I've noticed is the extensive usage of the Proverbs in the New Testament. When I think of New Testament books that are frequently quoted in the Old Testament, I think of the Psalms, Isaiah, Genesis, etc. However, Proverbs, especially chapters 25 & 26, are heavily utilized in the New Testament text.

Pro 25:21-22, for example, is quoted by Paul in Rom 12:20. A couple other examples are as follows: Jude 1:12 seems to be referencing Pro 25:14. In 2Pe 2:22, Peter refers to Proverbs 26:11.

Normally my mind gravitates to the writings of the Prophets and Apostles, but I think reading the Proverbs (I plan to read through them twice) which can be so easily applied to many areas of life will be very useful for me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home